London – There were impressive results at Bonhams’ British. Cool. at New Bond Street today (Wednesday 29 March). Mick Jagger from Mick Jagger Portfolio by Andy Warhol was the top lot of the sale, achieving £151,500 against a pre-sale estimate of £60,000-80,000.
The 252-lot sale made a total of £938,900.
Carolin von Massenbach, Co-Head of Sale, added: “From Banksy prints to Dame Vivienne Westwood fashion pieces, British. Cool. offered items from the peak of Britain’s contemporary cultural legacy. Demonstrating the spread of British influence across the Atlantic, as well as Mick Jagger’s enduring sense of cool, we are thrilled that Mick Jagger, from Mick Jagger Portfolio by Andy Warhol in particular achieved such an impressive result – more than double its pre-sale estimate.”
Janet Hardie, Bonhams Co-Head of Sale, commented: “With an array of art, prints, fashion, photographs and popular culture memorabilia, it is no wonder British. Cool. enticed collectors across all categories. We are delighted that yet again we demonstrated that Britain’s cultural highlights certainly remain incredibly cool and current.”
Other highlights of the sale included:
- Banksy (born 1974), Pulp Fiction, 2004. Sold for £88,500.
- Sir Peter Blake R.A. (British, born 1932), I Love You. 5. (in homage to Jack Pierson), 2010. Sold for £21,700.
- Original animated cels by Ian Emes inspired by and created for Pink Floyd’s World Tour of their landmark album The Dark Side Of The Moon, including ‘Time – Ticking Away’, A Multi-Cel Set Up for ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’, 1974, which sold for £20,400.
- Damien Hirst (born 1965), Loyalty, from ‘The Virtues’, 2021. Sold for £17,900.
- Terry O’Neill (British, 1938-2019), David Bowie Diamond Dogs, 1974, printed later. Sold for £10,200.
- A ‘Belisha Beacon’ pedestrian post from the Abbey Road Crossing, 2010’s. Sold for £7,700.
- Vivienne Westwood & Malcolm McLaren, An Original and Rare Pink ‘Two Cowboys’ T-Shirt, 1975. Sold for £3,800.
- Tracey Emin (born 1963) and Longchamp, “International Woman” Suitcase, limited edition 2004. Sold for £3,600.