London, UK, Tuesday 31st January 2023: Ahead of the game’s debut on Meta Quest 2 and PICO 4 on 9th March 2023, immersive entertainment studio, Maze Theory, today lifted the lid on the brand new gangs set to take on the Shelbys in the forthcoming immersive narrative VR game, Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom.
The new video spot casts light on two of the new rivals that butt heads with Thomas Shelby and his cohorts throughout play, including the Winter’s Children – a politically-motivated gang who challenge every move the Peaky Blinders make – and The Tong, a brotherhood from London’s Chinese community who are as fiercely protective of Limehouse as the Shelbys are Small Heath.
Crucially, both The Tong and the Winter’s Children will be heroes within their own stories. They’ll add a fresh perspective and unique viewpoints to the narrative.
The trailer also showcases Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom’s intense, action-filled gameplay and dramatic, high stakes moments as the world of the Shelbys is brought to life in VR platforms for the first time.
“The contrast between Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom’s adrenaline-pumping moments of action, and the somewhat dubious morals of all of those involved, is something we wanted to highlight in this trailer,” said Tim Jones, Game Director at Maze Theory. “We set out to add to the amazing lore behind the Peaky Blinders franchise, by bringing brand new gangs and original characters into the world. We think fans of the series, along with wider action-adventure fans, will really connect with these key protagonists.”
The new characters showcased in the trailer include:
- Winter’s Children – They fight for the workers, and see the Shelbys as bourgeois oppressors. Not everyone is opposed to their position, but do their ends justify their violent means?
- The Tong – They are to Limehouse what the Peaky Blinders are to Small Heath. Loyal to each other and their community, the gang is fiercely protective of their home turf.
- Feng – The leader of the Tong. Like Tommy, Feng is the ruthless leader of a criminal operation, ruling through fear and driven by a deep need for respect.
- Lily – Feng’s fiancee and partner in crime. She’s a cunning operator who trades in secrets, pulling a lot of strings behind the scenes of Feng’s criminal organisation.
Inspired by the BAFTA-winning drama, Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom is an original story written in collaboration with Peaky Blinders’ producer and brand owner Caryn Mandabach Productions, and with series creator and writer Steven Knight. The game is created in partnership with Banijay Brands, the commercial arm of content powerhouse Banijay.
At launch, Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom will offer:
- Immersive World: Step into the mean streets of 1920s Birmingham and London and explore iconic locations from the show, including The Garrison pub, Charlie’s Yard, and Shelby’s Betting Shop.
- Believable Characters: Come face-to-face with Tommy Shelby (voiced by Cillian Murphy) and Arthur Shelby (voiced by Paul Anderson) like never before. Interact with iconic characters as you uncover allegiances and confront your enemies.
- Intense Action: Life in Small Heath is full of opportunity – and risk. Immerse yourself in dramatic action as you take down rivals and move up in the world.
- Epic Crime Drama: On the run from the firing squad, you turn to the infamous Tommy Shelby for help, and soon find yourself at war once again. Your only hope at redemption is to defeat the odds and win at any cost… By order of the Peaky Blinders.
Built in Unity, Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom will launch exclusively on Meta Quest 2 and PICO 4 (in all markets where PICO is available, including Europe, Southeast Asia, Japan, and Korea) on Thursday 9th March 2023.
For more information on Peaky Blinders: The King’s Ransom, and to sign up for updates,visit the website here.